Monday, August 27, 2007

Almost there

In thirteen hours I will be on a plane to east Asia, where I'll be for the next 16 weeks. Hah, I've been planning for months, but still it comes down to a single, master checklist. I think I am ready- worst case scenario I will just buy whatever I don't have (or quickly adapt to the void :).

I'm not sure how I'll organize this blog- the only time I've blogged before it turned into a small number of very long posts. I'm going to do it differently this time, maybe it will be a more real-time account of what's going on. Hope so. Anyhow, this will be short because I'm tired and this is also just to test the organization of Blogger with multiple posters.

What's at the front of my mind:
My housing situation in Shanghai. I have a few contacts over there, and will stay with one of the until I have a dwelling of some sort. Although I haven't spoken with them directly (they are relatives of a family friend), I have very specific instructions for getting there: From the Pudong airport, go through door 7, then get on bus 3. Get off at the very last stop, find the Silver River Hotel. They should meet you there. If not, here is their address and phone number so you can find them yourself. Sweet.

What's at the back:
The balance between staying connected with everything at home and being independent. Where to travel within China? How will the city have changed since last time I was there? What will I feel like in 16 weeks when I'm on my way home? What new friends will I have met?

No comments: