Friday, August 24, 2007

Four More Days - August 7, 2007

(Singapore Sessions, Episode 5 )

Current mood: happy


Well only 4 more days to go here and I have done so much since last week. I finally got my big 2 papers done and have done my research for my paper on piracy in Singapore, so off to see the sites.


1)Sentosa Islandthis is the island where people go to get away, kind of a beach resort. I took a cable car over which was really high and then walked down the Dragon trail to the Underwater park where I truly had one of the weirdest experiences of my life. I did this for my dear friend Niceto, because I know he would have crapped his pants. They have this thing called Fish Reflexology where you put your feet into 2 different tubs and this fish eat your feet. They nibble at all of your calluses, etc. The concept is totally disgusting and if you believe in reincarnation, boy, you must have done something really bad to come back as one of these fish. Anyway, it totally tickles but after you get used to it, it is awesome. You stick your feet in for 20 minutes and then they massage your feet. The small fish tickle and the bigger fish feel more like when your foot falls asleep, kind of pins and needles. Anyway, I have had swollen feet and ankles since I got here because of the heat and after this, it was all gone, I swear to god. Icing my ankles, elevating, nothing worked, but this did and they haven’t swollen up since. You have to see the photos to believe it. Just weird.Also on the island they have a concrete louge which was fun as well as a small island, connected by a rope ladder, that takes you to the southern most point of SE Asia. Great time, beautiful weather and had a blast walking around.

2) Maria Mallon, this one is for you. So Coffee Bean and Tea leaf is here, so I traveled 8000 miles for an ice blended and have had a few in your honor. My only concession to western life that I have done since I was here (OK 2 starbucks)

3) Pulau Ubin-I will do this as my last blog because I don’t have photos yet, so stay tuned.

4) Orchid Gardens-Oh my god, how beautiful. Went to the National Orchid Gardena and Botanical Gardens today and they were just stunning. I took pictures but I can’t capture the smells, simply gorgeous.


5) Tour of Little India and China Town-I went on a tour that the school sponsored of Little India and China town and learned how to make traditional dumplings (you don’t want mine, I suck!) but it was great. Went to the oldest Mosque in Singapore and shopped, shopped, shopped. Also saw the coolest photo shoot. It was a shoot in front of the mosque for some magazine, but it was all a muslin shoot. I took a picture.

I also have been researching all the issues with music piracy here and in Malaysia and have had some very interesting meetings with reps from Warner Bros, EMI, journalists as well as the ministry here in Singapore. Also went shopping in Malaysia at a pirate shop to see how rampant it is. Very interesting.


Well off to bed, getting up early to work on paper 4, go shopping for a new digital camera… yes my technological woes continue, my camera fell out of my backpack and works sometimes, when it feels like it.Anyway, 1 more update before I head home.


New photos posted at http://picasaweb.google.com/beth.tallman/SingaporeHighlights?authkey=2LzIwTgCHw0.


Beth

(Organized by Cortilia)



No comments: