Sunday, September 9, 2007

Getting into the city

The Pudong Airport is new, and very nice. But, it is still almost an hour’s drive from Shanghai proper (until Shanghai expands more to the east, that is). Taking the bus from the airport is really pretty easy, and for about $2.50 this is the way to go…as long as you know how to say (and hear) your destination in Chinese. However, the airport buses didn’t seem to have English translations for upcoming stops. I also felt more comfortable after finding a seat on the bus next to a businessman from Singapore. It seemed like a fitting start to 4 months in Shanghai, where I plan to connect with as many people working in China as possible. The man and I got along really well; he was willing to put up with my constant urge to say as much as possible in Chinese. He is currently the executive director of a company that is manufacturing a medical device in Shanghai. Conversation ranged from dealing with the FDA to gambling in Macau.

When we arrived at my stop my ride (the cousin of a family friend) was already waiting for me. We drove around the block to the couple’s apartment, where I got my first taste of lots of Chinese food to come, language, and then a shower and sleep.

No comments: