Friday, October 12, 2007

What I Learned!!-2 months back.



What I learned? Well being back and jumping back in class (Direct Mktg with Elizabeth Stearns), I learned a couple of things. 1) Don't jump back in and take a class with Elizabeth Stearn's right away, great class, but jet lag etc., makes it tough. But seriously what are my key take aways (to use an overused MBA term). The main thing it to share the best of your culture and ask questions. This photo was a great example. As you can see, I am not shy and look at life as one gag after another. My Singaporean friend Suzanne (see below) a former UofW exchange student saw these hysterical manikins and I just had to do 'the face'. People around us just started laughing and after we took pictures, others were doing the same. I found that is was OK, if not great, to make an ass of yourself so others/locals could do the same without being embarrassed. Plus it is fun! Another fun example was I was out with another classmate and her 2 daughters, and the kids were running through a water fountain. Being fairly traditional, the mothers were watching the kids run in the fountain and talking amongst themselves. Yes, being the big kid that I am, I totally ran through the fountain chasing Nicole (my friend's daughter) and got us both thoroughly wet. Peals of children's laughter could be heard and the nervous giggles of the mothers as they looked and pointed at me. But I had a blast and all of the kids did as well. Finally a few of the mother's joined in, probably because I was the one that made it OK to do that, and made it so they wouldn't feel embarrassed.
The other thing I did, was ask a ton of questions, probably to the frustration of my guests. I think they must have thought that I was 6 or something, but I asked and shared as much information as possible with my other classmates, flatmates, etc. That is where I learned the most.
My advice, ask questions, make an ass of yourself but not your sponsors and you will have a wonderful trip and gain the most from this.
Beth

No comments: