Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Blue Ocean Strategy!!!



Using a phrase from our MBA strategy class, "Go to where there is a Blue Ocean", is how to describe my next destination. While my classmates are traveling around to the coldest regions of China (e.g. Tibet, Lhasa, Lijiang, and Shangri-La), I decided to continue my travels to the warm weather regions of China on Hainan Island where there is an actual blue ocean.

I arrived to the 80F temperatures, strong breeze, and partly cloudy skies of Sanya, the southern coast of Hainan Island. As part of China, this region of the island has been newly developed over the past several years, targeting new Chinese tourists. Most of the hotels are resorts hotels located on the beach facing the south seas. After getting out the airport, I was bombarded by these private taxi drivers. Still trying to figuring how the transportation works, I was followed into the parking lot by a private driver. After a few minutes of negotiation and telling him where I want to go, I jumped into his car. It paid to do my research to know how much to pay for my taxi ride as most taxi drivers don't use the meter and charge a flat rate. Luckily, I knew I paid only 100RMB for my ride to Crown Plaza resort which 30miles from the airport. I assumed incorrectly that people on this island spoke Cantonese since it's southern China but I was wrong again. Everyone here spoke Mandarin so I continue to practice my mandarin on the taxi driver. We had a good conversation. Him telling me about his life in Sanya and me telling him about my background. I did find out that he has seven siblings, 6 more than the one child policy rule in China. Since he was a bit younger than me, he probably had siblings that was born before that policy enacted. In addition, since this island is pretty secluded and a farming community, the government probably don't crack down on this issue as much back then. I was further enlightened by the fact that this place don't have many western tourists. The only foreigners traveling to this area are Russians who I assume travel to this place instead of Hawaii for convenience (distance from Russia) and affordability. Most signs in this place are in three languages - Chinese, English, and Russian. A quick factoid-there are three Chinese ethnic groups that inhabit this island all being darker and shorter than the mainland Chinese groups.

I was a bit out of my element when I arrived at my hotel. A beautiful Chinese palace like grandiose lobby area with a warm breeze sweeping through from the driveway to the back steps leading to a fountain courtyard overlooking a plaza. I was helped by the bellboy who carried my bags and I was served a iced sweet citrus drink as I was getting my hotel card key. My hotel room was plush with great comfy beds, open sliding doors from the bathroom and bedroom. My balcony overlooked the large Vegas style swimming pool with wrapping shapes of a lagoon. Very cool! I later figured this hotel resort is the hotel that hosts the Miss World Pageant which was held the week after I leave. Darn!!!!

For the next three days, I was able to just relax, start my day with a complimentary five star buffet western/Chinese style breakfast, followed by emails (MBA, C4C, news, etc.), then hitting the beach for a few hours, hit a few laps in the swimming pool, hit the weights in the gym, and followed by resting up, dinner, and a movie. The warm weather and sunny skies did my body good with a good dose of Vitamin D which was needed. It also helped even out my tan or sunburned neck I got from traveling to Huangshan last month. Even though I traveled by myself to this Hawaii of China destination which is really meant for families and couples, it was a nice, calm relaxing trip compared the cold, hiking, train jumping, navigation minded person you need to be to travel in western China. It affirms that I love the sun, warm weather, blue skies, and nice hotels!

No comments: