Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Shanghai Symphony

One of the problems with such an enormous city, is how easy it is to forget how many great and/or unique things are offered in just about every corner. Last week I went with a friend to listen to the Shanghai Symphony, which turned out to be really great, but it’s too bad I waited until now to attend a concert. It actually reminded me of my years in concert band during high school, afterward I even dug out our Wind Ensemble’s performance at the National Concert Band Festival.

The Shanghai Symphony travels around the city, country, and world. This performance was in the Shanghai Concert Hall; a newly-restored theatre built in the European-era of Shanghai, and originally called the Nanking (Nanjing) Theatre. It’s definitely a European-styled building, surrounded by grass parks on two sides. This is surprising considering the high-priced real estate near Nanjing W. Road in the heart of Shanghai. The performance was “Viennese Glory”, a collection of compositions all written in Vienna, with a guest conductor (whose name I forget…). It was a really great change to my normal ‘routine’ life in Shanghai!

No comments: