Friday, August 24, 2007

Taking off - July 12, 2007

(Singapore Sessions, Episode 1 )

Current mood: drained

OK, well to try and get acclimated, I decided to stay up all night on the 11th to try and force my clock to get out of sync. Fortunately for me, Harry Potter decided to open up that evening and the IMAX was playing Harry Potter for 24 hours straight. Got 3:30am tickets, determined to stay awake. Also, prior to leaving I left my car at my cousins in Oregon to have some work done on it, so I have no wheels as well. Long story, but the last bus downtown was at 1am. (Why is late night transit so hard in Seattle??) Anyway, got down and have breakfast at the Hurricane and then headed to the movie. Sold out and packed, fortunately I purchased my tix early so no problem.

At the IMAX, the last 20 minutes were in 3D and I managed to stay awake for the entire movie, only 1 head node. Got out at 5:45 and headed home to have breakfast with my friend Colin and his partner Mark. Afterwards, headed to the airport and the adventures begin.Got there, no problem. Checked in, flight was on time and wasn’t super packed. Took 2 Xanax and watched a bunch of movies. I can rarely sleep on planes, the Xanax helped but not much. 10 hours later I got to Tokyo. Found the Singapore Airlines place, after a bit, and got all of my flight set up. No problems. Got on board, and then sat on the tarmac for about 2 hours. I don’t know how long because I kept dosing off, but it was a long time. There was weather in Tokyo so the planes couldn’t take off. So at least I got some sleep but then we were off, no problems to speak of at all on both flights.

Both NW and Singapore were great (shocking I know). We made up some time so I was really only an hour late into Singapore. If any of you are counting yet at this point, I am now on hour 53 of no official sleep. I did nap a bit, but really nothing to speak of. Called this woman Mayuko who had my room keys and grabbed a cab. $45 dollars later and 40 minutes, I was at my building, or I thought I was. I couldn’t find Mayuko’s cell number and my travel arrangements weren’t very clear so I was at the wrong building. My cab driver had a cell phone and I finally found the piece of paper after digging around and starting my computer up. I was just around the corner. Got there and Mayuko was great. Got me settled, etc. She has just finished her MBA and is moving back to Tokyo this weekend, so I will only see her for another day or so. Started to unpack and stole both of my blankets from NW and Singapore airlines so I wouldn’t need to bring a blanket. Made my twin bed with awesome “Hello Kitty” sheets that I bought at Freddies. (They were the cheapest twin set available.) Took 2 Ambian and woke up 6 hours later.

Beth

(Organized by Cortilia)

No comments: